Joe and Sarah

Joe and Sarah

Wednesday, April 2, 2014

From the transfer to the couch

Greetings from the couch!  I'm really not sure why I'm just updating about how the transfer went, I've not had much else to do.  I've got to start off by thanking everyone for their prayers, words of encouragement, and love.  Going through IVF is a physically and mentally draining adventure, I can't imagine not having so many friends and family supporting us!  It makes me extra thankful when I think about how hard it is for people to share about their infertility journey.  If you're reading this blog, you've been able to see how it is really an intimate and emotional process.  Pray for those couples facing infertility but aren't comfortable sharing their story!  I pray that by sharing our story, we are helping other couples get the feeling they aren't alone.
Saturday morning we got up early so we can travel our familiar road.  We started off having breakfast with J2.  We arrived at PJ and Kevin's to see Gramma, Grampa, and Aunt Kristi.  I'm thankful that we were able to spend our "waiting for transfer time" with family.  After Jack's soccer game, the Flora family arrived!  Pizza, Uno, and family...just what the doctor ordered!  Love my niece and nephew! (and their parents of course)  PJ and I had movie night while Joe snored on the couch, yeah for finally seeing Frozen!
Once again, we set our alarms for Sunday to get there on time for the transfer.  Our appointment was at 9:15 so thankfully we didn't have to be up before sunrise.  Finally, we were blessed with a sunny drive and not much traffic...so we arrive about forty minutes early.  In being honest and opinion, I can't leave out one little thing...my meltdown in the car.  We were parked, Joe said are you okay, and I burst into tears.  While I'd been working on staying positive, having hope, etc.  I finally had a moment where the fears came out my eyes.  Joe said it was too late to go back now.  (Have I mentioned how awesome my husband is?!)  After I composed myself, we crossed the street. 
Well, the problem came when there was nobody at the surgery center desk or upstairs in the office.  I double checked our appointment time, we made countless trips up and down stairs, and paced around the waiting room.  Right at 9:15, new Nurse Alison came out.  The front desk staff wasn't able to make it in and she was the only nurse.  We had kept missing her when she would peek out.  (It wouldn't be so bad if I wasn't still traumatized from the day we were left waiting for the OB two hours during a Clomid cycle!  I'm a bit paranoid!!) 
Alison got us all settled in.  There were two other couples scheduled and we all had arrive around the same time.  While I was able to eat and drink for the embryo transfer, I couldn't potty.  The full bladder helps with the ultrasound when they transfer the embryos.  Bless Joe...if I can't potty, he didn't potty!  I rocked my cute hospital gown, my lucky Colts socks under their slipper socks, and Joe got to wear his head to toe outfit.  We didn't take a picture since he was wearing the same shirt as our last transfer day.  Dr. Morris came in to go over our embryo development, he was a little disappointed that we didn't have more fertilize than we did.  (I didn't tell him I had friends praying specifically for two blastocyst embryos!!)  We had two blastocysts, one was graded AC and one was BC.  The A and B refer to the inner part of the cell, the C grades the outer membrane.  Dr. Morris said he'd rather have the higher score on the inner cell, so that made me feel better.  We were wheeled back and I got strapped in.  Knowing how wiggly I am, the fact he has Velcro straps for the legs is probably a safe bet.  In the room we have Dr. Morris, a nurse, Joe, me, and two ladies from the lab.  Joe was at my head and the nurse manned the ultrasound, pressing so nicely on my full bladder!  It took them a minute to load the embryos, he said that it's hard to catch them in the petri dish.  Dr. Morris uses a catheter to transfer the embryos.  It's cool to be able to watch on the screen.  You can't see the embryos, but you can see him safely place them in the uterus.  Praise the Lord, I can potty!  Dr. Bopp had told us you can't pee them out, poop them out, cough them out, or walk them out...which I kept telling myself! 
After relief, it was time to lay flat and let the embryos settle and time to take a selfie!  (That song may be the worst thing I've heard and Sirius kept playing it!!)
Since we had the long drive home, nurse Alison was comfortable letting us go around 10:30.  Dr. Morris doesn't require bed rest, but she said to take it easy if I could.  I really appreciated having a nurse caring for us who had been through this herself and was shared that with us.  We signed our papers and were on our merry little way.
We stopped in Merriville for a little comfort food at Cracker Barrel.  Once we finally made it home, I migrated to the bed with the iPad, my Pretty Little Liars book, and three kitties.
I've taken off this week and next to be able to rest and avoid extra germs.  I'm really so thankful that I have a job where I miss it if I'm out!  (Although it would be different to have a job where you just called in sick and didn't have to get ready for a sub!)  I've gotten pictures of my munchkins, messages from parents, and reports from my staff because they know I worry.  Kitty and I have settled into the couch for most of the day.  Today, we watched some professional development webinars.  I'm taking it easy like a good girl, but I miss my kiddos!  Rocked my blue shirt and blue light today for Autism Awareness, too.  (Joe even rocked a blue shirt for work.)
Now, we just wait.  Our first pregnancy test is on Monday so there's nothing else to do between now and then.  Big Bang Theory, Friends, and Sex and the City provide my comic relief during the day.  Tonight, we switch to the progesterone injections.  It's going to be more uncomfortable, but it's much more affordable than the other progesterone.  We can use prayers as we start injections twice daily!  Pray that it's not too painful and that I don't say mean things to Joe while he does it.
I'm looking forward to church on Saturday.  I watched last weekend's service online.  We have been doing the Transformed series and it has been so relevant and great at this time in life.  I listened to the sermon "From Stressed to Blessed" twice in 24 hours last weekend.
Pray that our little embryos have implanted (at least one) and are settling in so we will have a healthy baby...or babies in nine months.  The anticipation of "the test" is huge and I try not to think about it.  What will be the longest wait is from the time of blood draw to results on Monday.  Just pray for peace as we wait and comfort with the test results.  If the first test result is positive, we continue the progesterone and repeat the blood test.  Updates will come on that later!
Again, words just can't express how thankful we are for the love and prayers!  Keep 'em coming please!!
Love,
Sarah & Joe



No comments:

Post a Comment