Joe and Sarah

Joe and Sarah

Saturday, November 24, 2012

Retrieval and fertilization

What do the Manning brothers have to do with our IVF cycle?  Nothing really, except their numbers.  Yesterday, Dr. Will retrieved 18 eggs!  At my first monitoring appointment, they counted 18 follicles and I took that as a good sign.  Retrieving 18...even better!  I'm a little sore and bloated, but the egg retrieval wasn't too bad.  I slept most of yesterday.  Before I move on and explain why Eli is also included, I must go ADD and share a story.  I wore my lucky Colts socks under the not so cute slipper ones they give.  Somehow in my post-anesthetic state, I showed them to my nurse.  It turns out, the nurse that was taking care of me is Marcus Pollard's sister in law.  Marcus Pollard was a tight end for the Colts before my boyfriend Dallas Clark came along.  Marcus Pollard's number when he played for the Colts was 81...yup that's 18 backwards.  (http://www.nfl.com/player/marcuspollard/2502504/profile)  Sorry, I am just a big nerd when it comes to football!  Joe got me home and in bed, the rest of the day involved napping, DVR, and the iPad.  
I was awake early this morning since Ingrid, the biologist from Midwest, had said she would call with the fertilization report after 8:00.  I was really hoping they would call before Joe headed off to work so that we could get the report together.  At 9:20, my phone finally rang.  They attempted to fertilize 16 eggs, 10 of which fertilized!  (Woohoo!)  They did ICSI on 13, and 8 of those fertilized.  The other 3 they let fertilize naturally in the dish, and 2 of those fertilized.  Prayers were answered!  Tomorrow I start progesterone and estrogen.  On Monday they will call me with the time of our transfer on Wednesday!
It's really been an exciting and emotional few days.  We've waited so long to get to this point!  Thanks to everyone who continues to support and encourage us.  I've said it before and I will say it again, we are truly blessed to have such an amazing support system.
Pray that our little embryos grow strong and make it to day 5.  (They will put two back in, and any remaining will be stored on ice for future baby Jones' attempts.)  After Wednesday, I will be propping my feet up and taking it easy!  
Thanks again for all the love and prayers!
Sarah & Joe

No comments:

Post a Comment